Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
shb

Default Hunt for the elusive vehicle

G'day guys,

Im after a vehicle thats powerful,can take 1-2 bikes in the back and low cost to maintain. My budget is 30k but can be extended to 36k. I wouldve settled for a mondeo hatch or wagon(petrol) but it doesnt look powerful on paper.At the moment I have a yaris sedan and its just not powerful for overtaking or hill climbs as torque is low. Anyone who has a mondeo(petrol) and can negate what I wrote is welcome.The G6 and xr6 are both options,wish they had a hatch model too.Can you buy a full spare as an option for these cars? I would love to have a turbo xr6 or g6 but its way above my budget.Read somewhere that these cars are BMW-bashers.Good on them!! Also is e10 viable in these cars?Ta

shb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Firstly, im guessing the bikes are normal mountain bikes and not motocross?
Also does it need to have more then 2 seats?

The XR6 turbo ute would be the absolute best for what you describe you want, but if you need more then two seats then i guess not.

And no, you don't put E10 in these cars unless you dont mind poor performance and what have you. That crap is only used in cars like the Yaris and them lot.
You have a nice car then you got to afford top be able to fill it up with 98 premium, or unleaded, but hey.

What about the BF series? They have wagons, unless you want the new car aspect?

Edit: Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums mate
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

New terra!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

2nd hand Subaru Forrester GT (turbo)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden Sportwagon (I have one and its fantastic)

What about a diesel Mondeo hatch/wagon, should go better than the petrol?

Also the Falcon ute is a good idea.

Last edited by Brazen; 08-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Subaru Liberty Wagon.

You can get the 3.0-R superseded model for about $25,000.

Otherwise, a runout Territory would work quite well too. Just make sure you can stretch to an AWD model for the 6 Speed Auto.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
shb

Default Ta

For all ur replies.I meant bicycles,not mobikes!

The territory is going to be updated soon,and that will make the older models look outdated. Im not sure i can get a diesel mondeo hatch/wagon in that price. Ta willo. Yeah it has to be a 5seater.What are the BF series? Ford? Will it fit into my budget?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
NAFairlane

The turbo diesel mondeo's are brilliant, go really well, have alot of kit, super comfortable, super reliable and stuff all ever goes wrong with them. As said above, Subaru's are always the pick of the bunch for what you are after, beautiful cars, probably the most reliable thing on the road, really nice to drive especially the turbo version (must be run on premium though), well kitted out. Not alot runs on E10 yet so i wouldnt be counting on it in your search mate. Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to fordforums
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Pretty sure most of the replies here are completely incorrect regarding E10. ALL non-performance new cars run on E10, there is barely a performance loss, in fact, E10 is mostly 94-95ron when added to 91, and at only a 10% blend, the extra fuel use is virtually unnoticeable. It does give you flat tyres though....
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
shb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
The turbo diesel mondeo's are brilliant, go really well, have alot of kit, super comfortable, super reliable and stuff all ever goes wrong with them. As said above, Subaru's are always the pick of the bunch for what you are after, beautiful cars, probably the most reliable thing on the road, really nice to drive especially the turbo version (must be run on premium though), well kitted out. Not alot runs on E10 yet so i wouldnt be counting on it in your search mate. Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to fordforums
Ta mate. Subaru is not my choice for now,I want to stick with the ford's.So you reckon the mondeos tdci are great? As long as they can handle 2bikes in the back,are powerful on highways for overtaking and hill climbing,comfy to drive on long drives(syd-melb) then Im fine with it. Since ford sites dont have pricing I dont know if a mondeo tdci hatch/wagon will come in my budget?Do you have any idea if it will come under 36k? Ta
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

BF F6? That'd easy come in under budget, has torque everywhere and then some and will fit two bikes comfortably with the front wheels off. My old BA XR6 had the exact same sized boot and I fit three in once!!(it was a squeeze though). value for money they are great as you get the German ZF auto 6spd, bulletproof bottom end and the resale isn't going to be too bad(better than say a BF XR6) because it's got that lovely FPV badge. Failing that you could try for a current shape XR6, they are no slouch when paired with either the 6spd or 5spd auto, well worth hunting for a 6spd though. This would be cheaper to run and insure than the F6 and would be current shape, and you don't have to worry about overtaking or going up hills with it loaded; the I6 will pull like a freight train whether it's got a turbo bolted on the side or not. The turbo just helps you lose your licence faster ;).
My pick would be FG XR6 or if you're heart is set on a mondeo then the TDC mondeo wagon. They are great cars, and should be within budget too. Hope all this is of value and please stick with ford! There can only be one blue oval ;)
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Saw that a Ford dealer have some G6 50th anniversary models going for 36k drive away ...... would be my pick ..... Check with the sponsors on this site and see if they can match the deal!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb
Ta mate. Subaru is not my choice for now,I want to stick with the ford's.So you reckon the mondeos tdci are great? As long as they can handle 2bikes in the back,are powerful on highways for overtaking and hill climbing,comfy to drive on long drives(syd-melb) then Im fine with it. Since ford sites dont have pricing I dont know if a mondeo tdci hatch/wagon will come in my budget?Do you have any idea if it will come under 36k? Ta
Thats what i said but....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
shb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
BF F6? That'd easy come in under budget, has torque everywhere and then some and will fit two bikes comfortably with the front wheels off. My old BA XR6 had the exact same sized boot and I fit three in once!!(it was a squeeze though). value for money they are great as you get the German ZF auto 6spd, bulletproof bottom end and the resale isn't going to be too bad(better than say a BF XR6) because it's got that lovely FPV badge. Failing that you could try for a current shape XR6, they are no slouch when paired with either the 6spd or 5spd auto, well worth hunting for a 6spd though. This would be cheaper to run and insure than the F6 and would be current shape, and you don't have to worry about overtaking or going up hills with it loaded; the I6 will pull like a freight train whether it's got a turbo bolted on the side or not. The turbo just helps you lose your licence faster ;).
My pick would be FG XR6 or if you're heart is set on a mondeo then the TDC mondeo wagon. They are great cars, and should be within budget too. Hope all this is of value and please stick with ford! There can only be one blue oval ;)
Pardon my ignorance but what does BF and BA stand for? Are they FPV's? I think you did write FPV.Like I said mate,I would love to get a mondeo tdci but if a new ones prices are going to be above 36k,then its too bad! Hope not.Ive driven the xr6 and g6,loved them.Would love a g6 turbo,but its above budget.Ta for your response.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
shb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Saw that a Ford dealer have some G6 50th anniversary models going for 36k drive away ...... would be my pick ..... Check with the sponsors on this site and see if they can match the deal!
How do I do that? Ta
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Look through the sponsor thread and send either a PM or just start a thread in their section asking. I dont know what state you are in but there are a few Ford dealers here who are in different states. For 2010 plates and demos there are some deals to be had.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=47 This is the sponsors section and just ask what the go is at the moment. The dealer with the G6 specials are not a sponsor but I am sure the others are doing the same

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

BA and BF are ford model codes relating to falcons. BA was made from 2002-2005 with a MKII update in between, and BF superseded BA from 2006-2008. The pick of the bunch would be the BF F6, which is an FPV model.
I think you should go for an XR6 in the current model shape(FG) or a G6. Great deals to be had right now and lots of car for the money!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
shb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
BA and BF are ford model codes relating to falcons. BA was made from 2002-2005 with a MKII update in between, and BF superseded BA from 2006-2008. The pick of the bunch would be the BF F6, which is an FPV model.
I think you should go for an XR6 in the current model shape(FG) or a G6. Great deals to be had right now and lots of car for the money!
Ok.Will these deals last till end of Mar?Just curious as quarter endings also have some good deals! But the point is if they will go down further or not?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb
Ok.Will these deals last till end of Mar?Just curious as quarter endings also have some good deals! But the point is if they will go down further or not?
They should. I don't see why not. The closer it gets to FG II (June??) the cheaper the runout models will be. Check out the site sponsors and they will get you the best deal on a new ford!
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb
Also is e10 viable in these cars?Ta
E10 is fine on Falcons. The FG XR6 that I drive regulary is getting good km's out of a tank on 95ron E10 (mind you it started getting this after the 15,000km mark). But its milage is the same as 91ron petrol.

As for car, in all seriousness with your budget you have good choice and can even go new. The power from the N/A 6 is really good...turbo's are brilliant. Best to go see a site sponsor and you should be able to nut out which Falcon will be best for your needs.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If you want grunt how bout a GU Patrol cab chassis?? Or even a wagon
Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
shb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
E10 is fine on Falcons. The FG XR6 that I drive regulary is getting good km's out of a tank on 95ron E10 (mind you it started getting this after the 15,000km mark). But its milage is the same as 91ron petrol.

As for car, in all seriousness with your budget you have good choice and can even go new. The power from the N/A 6 is really good...turbo's are brilliant. Best to go see a site sponsor and you should be able to nut out which Falcon will be best for your needs.
A site sponsor? I dont understand,im new here! Ta
Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shb
A site sponsor? I dont understand,im new here! Ta

There are Ford dealers that are site sponsors.
Old 14-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
shb

Default The hunt for elusive is finally over

Hi guys,

We have finally given deposit for a G6 50th aniv edition.Paid $33k with matts,gas and Nrma membership for a year.Ta for all ur help.
Cheers
Old 14-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Congrats mate. Good value especially since you got the car lower then it was originally priced.
Old 14-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Excellent stuff mate you won't be dissapointed. Did you buy through a sponsor?
Game. Reinvented.