Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
gozza

Default ANy one had to avoid a tyre blowout?

driving to work this morn on the M1 and i hear this huge bang....looked over to the other side and see a trucks wheel guard arch flying in mid air....
figured he had a blow out and a heap of cars behind him had to put on the brakes...
any one had a blow out? or had to do some tricky evasive techniques avoiding one?
i haven't yet

gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had one on the car but have avoided one and had the horse float tyre blow out.
Coming home from echuca there was a caravan coming the opposite direction (single axle too) That blew the left wheel caravan swerved big time, the car towing it must have be moving... carvan flung over my side of the road and there was pretty much no where to go, i swung out and hit the gravel verge, spun the festiva and it landed in a ditch. The guy towin the caravan managed to save the swerving caravan, pulled up the road 400metres from where i landed and didn't even bother to see if i was ok.. I was so shaken that i couldn't even put the clutch in to drive the car.

Main thing is not to panic and stick the ancors on if your car blows a tyre (easier said than done!!)
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I had to miss a truck tyre coming at me. A truck coming off James Ruse Drive onto Pennett Hills Road turned the corner and one of its 12 wheels on the trailer come off and kept going strait. I drove forward a little because the tyre was coming for me and would of hit my car and done some serious damage. That was an interesting experience. The rim and all fell off and there was no noise. It was lucky I was starring out of the car and caught a glimpse of it.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a blow out but not while driving. I was smart enough to stop when I could feel something that didn't feel right. I was driving on the freeway in a 84 Ford Telstar. I felt a vibration for around 1-2 seconds. Pulled over straight away. Walked around the car couldn't see anything wrong. About 2 mins later the driverside rear tyre blew out. It was a cheap and nasty $80 tyre (not retread or remould).

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Yeah my damn mountain bike today had a blow out... But it didn't stop me pulling out the tube and riding the five kms back home!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

my dad and i were driving in his work car, a landcruiser and as we were passing a truck (opposite directions) one of its tyres blew and hit our car, had huge big black rubber marks and scratches where the tyre impacted with the front guard and drivers side door. it scared the hell out of us and ill never forget it, only a bit higher and it could have smashed the drivers side window!!!
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
micksta

i was driving to some camping place with a trailer on the back with everyones gear in it. jus driving normally on a flat straight road. noticed something wasn't right at the back end .. pulled over ... tire/rim was totally screwed ... mates at the back said sparks was coming out coz of the tire being totally hammered.

what come of this ?? brand new pirelli tire my mates chipped in for me for 40 bucks

luckily i had the trailer keeping me in line or i probly would of spun out ... or im jus exagerating (?)... but yeah .. other then that .. flat tires have been due to circular action.

but none else have happened jus out of the blue like that.
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a word of advice if ever any of you get the chance to drive in the N.T.,no speed limits...always make sure your tyres are of good quality and correctly inflated.

Have seen too many blow at 160+ and drivers can't control it...all because of poor tyre choice and incorrect inflation.

I think you can get the picture for speed limited roads.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 04-10-2005 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
chippa6
Novice Professional

Had 2 blow outs in my time, 1st was at approx 100k's in a toyota corona it was in the rear and shook hell out of the car (just lucky it wasn't on the front) pulled over and higway copper pulled in behind me with his lights to warn the other drivers (no shoulder) and the sidewall was ripped to threads. 2nd wasn't as bad, 100km out of Moree, 140kmh in a 89 laser, initially it felt like there was a lot of wind blowing the car around, then I thought one of the weights had come off the wheel, pulled over and found a split in the sidewall approx 4 inches long.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Had a blow out on our dual axle boat trailer going down the Clyde. A car behind us pulled next to us in the overtaking lane and we finally worked out why he was pointing to the trailer. At 60km/h on a dual axle setup, it's a bit hard to tell you have a blow out, except that the esky handle in the wagon was banging against the esky. We pulled over, dropped the trailer and a mate to look after it, went the 15km into town and bought the last 2 10" spare tyres they had.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Had a few wheel/tyre experiences. Once we were driving a few cars behind a small truck when it's tyre blew. He did so well to control it and pull over without affecting anyone else (although the sound made me jump and squeal like a little girl!).

A friend of mine was driving along with her husband when they saw a wheel rolling past on their left. Hubby commented "Oh, look! Someone's wheel has come off!" and they both giggled... till their car suddenly collapsed at one corner.

One time my hubby came home from visiting a mate and said "The car feels strange". So I said I'd take it for a drive and test it out... didn't take long before I pulled over and found that someone had loosened our lockable wheel nuts on the back left, and they were all held on by a thread turn or two. My theory is that someone decided to try and get the mags off but was foiled before they could complete the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Steve D
Irregular Member

Had a tyre blow-out occur in front of me once.

Travelling out of Melbourne on the Western Highway, a little way behind a semi, when one of its tyres blew. The whole tread came off in one piece, flying in the air as if it was a thrown snake (that's the only way I could describe its flight!).

Fortunately, I had no other cars around me, so I just looked up to see when it might fall, ready to swerve left or right if required. Not sure if I would have been quick enough anyway. In the end, it stayed up in the air long enough that I was able to pass under it before it came back to earth.

I'm always wary of travelling behind trucks now!
*** Wheels magazine COTY 1996 ***
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

Dad an i were following a semi just outside bairnsdale, it had a flat tyre and a chunk of it came up and hit the window, no visible damage at the time. We did the right thing and pulled along side him to tell him. He replied that he knew and was trying to sneak back into town. Later found out that the chunk of rubberhad several small indents in the top corner of our window, F&$K. WHAT WAS HE THINKING?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #14
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was in a mates car following a caravan on the way to a B&S, and the drivers side rear started delaminating. We did the right thing and pulled up beside them and tried furiously pointing to the tyre to explain to the guy what was happening. He seemed simply uninterested. The was a town about 5 km away and we pulled over for a toilet break. The guy was still going unphased. There was no other turn offs for a good 50km, and we didn't pass him, so he must have kept going still. Some people...

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post