Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Should Ford get involved in road safety and driver training?

As per the thread title - should Ford be more involved in road safety and driver training?

I'm not talking about the passive safety features in its cars, I'm talking about community programs/initiatives to support or sometimes counter the policy moves that State Governments come up with and perhaps do its own bit to arrest the national road toll. Kind of like getting its image out there, but in another way.

Fact is, the road toll involves people, driving cars, getting killed. Of course there are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, truck drivers that add to all of it, but most road trauma comes from people driving cars. Cars and roads today are safer than they have ever been, but people still get killed and maimed. The common denominator is, of course, people.

High profile crashes over the past 12 months involving young or novice drivers driving Fords have been spread all over the media. I'm not saying Ford is complicit in these crashes in any way shape or form, but would it be prudent for Ford to be on the front foot with its own road safety programs and support driver training schemes?

It could also serve to hose down the occasional criticism from some quarters where performance cars = bad = dead people.

Discuss.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Personally I can not see it happening from a business point of view. A lot expense at a time all auto manufacturers are struggling. For something that really is unlikely to result in many additional sales to cover the expense.

It would be great if they did but I doubt they will.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Ford through FPV were the first Manufacturer in Australia to offer standard inclusion of Advanced Driver Training Courses - http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-experience...-benefits.aspx

They are in fact still the only Aussie-based manufacturer to do so today.

Given the volumes of non-FPV Falcons sold, it's probably not feasible to also expect this as a standard offering on other Fords, but certainly a strong initiative. As for whether it could spread further, anyone else's thoughts on something feasible?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV do it (in a sense) and I would LOVE it if Ford did it for their XR range.

But are the type of people who can afford a brand new XR or FPV the one's who REALLY NEED funded driver training ??? Probably not.

If you want to target driver training funding there's really only one place you're going to get it...and they aren't likely to give it...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What I was getting at was not a "bundled package" of driver training whenever someone bought a car, but more like subsidising or supporting an already recognised scheme or course. More of a 'statement' on driver training and road safety than anything - kind of like establishing its road safety credentials.

And then of course there is road safety policy.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Personally I can not see it happening from a business point of view. A lot expense at a time all auto manufacturers are struggling. For something that really is unlikely to result in many additional sales to cover the expense.

It would be great if they did but I doubt they will.
x 2. would be good if they did, but keep in mind, if they did would likely to be at the cost of other sponsorships.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Ford could release a list of vehicles it considers best for Learners, P-Platers and Younger drivers like the Government did, butbroken down into categories of small, medium, large, commercial etc to cater for people's size/space needs.

They could highlight availability of safety packs on certain models as a key to look out for on used cars for better safety, along with showing the 4 and 5 star rated vehicles for better crash safety, showing braking/traction systems available and generally helping to share the message that would have been publicised when new.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Ford through FPV were the first Manufacturer in Australia to offer standard inclusion of Advanced Driver Training Courses - http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-experience...-benefits.aspx

They are in fact still the only Aussie-based manufacturer to do so today.

Given the volumes of non-FPV Falcons sold, it's probably not feasible to also expect this as a standard offering on other Fords, but certainly a strong initiative. As for whether it could spread further, anyone else's thoughts on something feasible?
Actually HSV offered drive days long before FPV were around, back in the day of the VN and VP.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Actually HSV offered drive days long before FPV were around, back in the day of the VN and VP.
I am scratching my failing brain now, but I think Ford were reluctant to sell you a HO, unless you had a Cams licence.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason Ford should do it, would be to demonstrate that the FG actually is the safest ever Falcon, and show how well it handles under condition's as well as giving others an education on road safety. Ford need to be more smart about these kind of things.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
The only reason Ford should do it, would be to demonstrate that the FG actually is the safest ever Falcon, and show how well it handles under condition's as well as giving others an education on road safety. Ford need to be more smart about these kind of things.
That's my view as well. It's also about getting their name out there as a 'good corporate citizen' and being seen to be proactive about these sorts of issues.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah you mean:

HOON SCHOOL

ACA exclusive report on how Ford are indoctrinating young drivers in HOONism and training them to kill on our roads.

We sent our latest road safety expert Harold Screwby to investigate....

Well Tracey I am here at the secret Ford HOON training camp and what I have seen has truly shocked me.

Firstly they allowed these drivers to travel at up to 140km/h on their HOON training facility. This is faster than any speed limit in the country and I not sure how many have already been killed this morning.

Then they put water on the road and showed them how to do slides, obviously getting ready for maccas carpark.

Then they were practicing charging down at a target to see how late they could brake without damaging their HOON V8 and turbo cars. Just the sort of HOON behavior designed to frighten small children on pedestrian crossings outside schools.

After that they raced around objects and then slipping into a garage as quickly as possible, obviously honing their skills at evading Police.

They are quite sneaky though as all of those killed and maimed during this training have been hidden, probably in a mass grave, away from the normal people.

Back to you Tracey....

Well there you have it.

A secret HOON training camp funded by a foreign anti-holden (I mean anti-Australian) subversive group pretending to be a car maker.

You can vote on our exclusive poll at www.i-tell-lies-a-lot.aca.ninemsn.com.au.

Should FORD be added to the list of banned terrorist groups?
a) YES
b) OF COURSE
c) All of the above
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

ROFLMAO, you crack me up flappist.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

lol flappist.

Warrior, it's a good idea. There are a number of driving schools at the moment, but it would be easier for Ford to promote it. It wouldn't be hard to end any of their ads with a few seconds worth of information about it, with contact/online info.

Ford's objective though must be focused on a quality, thorough course, and at a competitive price but could be made refundable if you buy a new Ford.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ah you mean:

HOON SCHOOL

ACA exclusive report on how Ford are indoctrinating young drivers in HOONism and training them to kill on our roads.

Well Tracey I am here at the secret Ford HOON training camp and what I have seen has truly shocked me.

Firstly they allowed these drivers to travel at up to 140km/h on their HOON training facility. This is faster than any speed limit in the country and I not sure how many have already been killed this morning.

Then they put water on the road and showed them how to do slides, obviously getting ready for maccas carpark.

Then they were practicing charging down at a target to see how late they could brake without damaging their HOON V8 and turbo cars. Just the sort of HOON behavior designed to frighten small children on pedestrian crossings outside schools.

After that they raced around objects and then slipping into a garage as quickly as possible, obviously honing their skills at evading Police.

They are quite sneaky though as all of those killed and maimed during this training have been hidden, probably in a mass grave, away from the normal people.

Back to you Tracey....

Well there you have it.

A secret HOON training camp funded by a foreign anti-holden (I mean anti-Australian) subversive group pretending to be a car maker.

a) YES
b) OF COURSE
c) All of the above

Help me, I laughed so hard I choked on my lunch. I would give you rep points for that but I can't (not that you need them).

Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #16
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Defensive driving

Maybe Ford could get together with credit companies and insurance companies and make a deal where if you buy a new car you get a free defensive driving course
and discounted insurance/finance
who knows a 5 o/o discount on the insurance cost might help sway the deal
and what about a percentage cut of say 1 o/o on the interest rate for the car
it would cost them all something maybe a hundred each but they might just sell a few hundred more cars each year
a win win for everyone
and it might even save a life or two
just my thoughts
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

a) YES
b) OF COURSE
c) All of the above

Mate, there's no stopping you when you're on a roll...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ah you mean:

HOON SCHOOL

Back to you Tracey....

Well there you have it.

a) YES
b) OF COURSE
c) All of the above
You never fail to disappoint Tony
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

No matter of training will rectify the fact that people are good at different things, Quardination, forthought, and all other aspects that affect true competance of any endevour, are things that not all people are capable of. E.G. Compare say Jim Richards to the average enthusiast and theirs no comparisment let alone joe blow average. Their is no true fix to traffic caos, (E.G. roundabouts, engineering marvels, but due to the inability of 90 percent of people to sucessfully negociate them, Abosolute disasters) except to introduce vehicles that humans have no control over. I for one however enjoy watching the idiocy that surrounds me. It gives me no end of amusment. Later.........................
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Back to learning spell checker are you?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ya i know, i haven't had to spell since high school and have only recently bought my first computer, and at 33 am not very impressed with my inability to spell simple words.
So in total agreeance!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Auturbo6 you make some good points.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Ya i know, i haven't had to spell since high school and have only recently bought my first computer, and at 33 am not very impressed with my inability to spell simple words.
So in total agreeance!
Ha Ha, I know the feeling!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah you mean:

HOON SCHOOL

Back to you Tracey....

Well there you have it.

a) YES
b) OF COURSE
c) All of the above
That just made my day!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #25
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
High profile crashes over the past 12 months involving young or novice drivers driving Fords have been spread all over the media
most of these accidents (just like the commode dore crashes) are not in brand new cars - so the driver training would not have reached them anyway
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

There was /is a state school in Vic (maybe) that taught Senior High Students, the basics of car control. I remember some "doo gooder" then getting on tv complaining it was teaching the kids to hoon He then went on to say if the kids were driving sensibly, they would not need to learn car control in an emergency situation!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
most of these accidents (just like the commode dore crashes) are not in brand new cars - so the driver training would not have reached them anyway
No but as I have said twice now, this is more about Ford taking a stand on road safety issues than driver training courses. A strategic view from the top down instead of little bits and pieces at the bottom with no 'big picture'