Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Mrs347stroker
Banned

Default Is leather hot?

Just wondering if leather seats get hot in summer if the car is out in the sun and if they do, what seat covers would you recommend?? Are sheepskin seat covers really that good and do they keep you cool in the summer as they say?

Mrs347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

It depends if you chaffe oh sorry you mean seats. : No i dont think it is, i know that the sun is not that good for it.

Last edited by BJ; 15-09-2005 at 07:55 PM.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs347stroker
Just wondering if leather seats get hot in summer if the car is out in the sun and if they do, what seat covers would you recommend?? Are sheepskin seat covers really that good and do they keep you cool in the summer as they say?
Yep they get hot allright.Sheepskin does work as good as anything else...
Hardtopxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

yep sure do get hot, just make sure you dont sit on em with bare skin touching the seats .
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

its called a solar shade. $10 bucks at K-Mart and you don't have to cover up your nice leather seats.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
gozza

yeah my olds used to have a volvo 850 with black leather...plus the car was black anyway so it was horrid in summer
skin sticks alot
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Depends on who's wearing it :P
Oh, Leather seats... yeah, they get icky in summer... and sweat kills the leather, so if you want to keep the seats in good shape, i'd recommend a decent set of sheepskin seat covers...
Old 15-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
THE MADNESS
500hp Clevo

Sun + Leather = hot hot hot.

Windscreen shade cover and some dark tints is the go......
THE MADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old Esky had leather seats, worst mistake I ever made was jumping straight in after going for a swim at the beach. Shirtless, and the car had been sitting directly in the sunlight for hours. Very painful.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sheeps skin seat covers defeats the whole purpose of having leather imo.

Just maintain them well - clean and shampoo regularly.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
WeirdEL

I used to have a car that I fitted a black leather Momo stearing wheel on. Even in the middle of summer here in Perth it wasn't too hot to touch so I would have thought leather seats would be the same.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Leather seats are not too bad if:

-You have the darkest legal tint avalible (or darker) placed on the car. This makes a huge diffrence. Theres are reason why nearly every car in Australia has tinted windows. Makes your car look better, makes your interior look mint for much longer, makes your car cooler and more comfortable on long trips, stops skin cancer, also a protection element as they can't see in to steal stuff.
-You use a windscreen sunshade. Blocks out heaps, keeps the steering wheel cool and the gearshift (ask anyone with a manual with a metal gearknob about sun and metal).

These two should be enough. If you also want to keep the inside of the cabin cool, wind down the rears ~5mm or less.

-Your leather isn't black
-Do avoid parking in direct sunlight for 10 hrs.
-Turn on your aircon full cold before getting in
-Have a towl handy to sit on if you must get in and out in summer and park in full sun.

I know sheepskin works a treat but I personally don't like the look, feel or the concept.

While leather gets hot, you can seriously burn yourself on a belt buckle thats been in the sun all day. So I would rather take a whole car approach instead.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
bscampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Sheeps skin seat covers defeats the whole purpose of having leather imo.
That's what I was thinking...why even bother with leather then if it is more trouble than it's (literally) worth?

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the leather in the AU doesnt get too hot, just yeah, try and park in at least a semi-shaded area. and the dropping of rear windows 1cm works awesome too
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Leather in my ute doesnt get that hot and its parked in the sun for 10hrs every day. I have dark tint though and it makes a massive difference. Personally I wouldnt pay for leather than cover it with crappy sheepskin covers.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

I have a black car but the dark tint keeps the heat down. I love my leather seats and wouldn't even contemplate putting seat covers over them let alone sheep skin. Why would you bother having leather if you are only going to cover it?

Use a decent leather conditioner like Pinnacle or Zanio, not Meguairs, it's rubbish and any sweat won't worry it.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #17
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

mmm, after reading all the above I am glad I did not go for leather.

And I had better get a sunshade before I get a shift pattern burned into my palm eh.

Thanks for the post
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2nd love handle on by right side received 2nd degree burns last summer.

Occassionally the seats get hot. But no hotter than the steering wheel
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

i must say ive noticed leather isnt as bad as vinyl seats, but yes, left in the sun they can get damn hot.

ive got tinted windows so its not that bad in my car, and a silver shade for the windscreen when its parked
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #20
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

I use one of these in Summer, it keeps the car cool. For $30 from Kmart, you cant go wrong.

03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #21
MRJUCY
Fordless

Not really leather isn't like vinyl. leather is a skin sure your skin gets hot but it's not like it's scorching like plastic or metal can get. I find on a hot day my back gets sweatier with cloth because it breathes better i guess honestly
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #22
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
I have a black car but the dark tint keeps the heat down. I love my leather seats and wouldn't even contemplate putting seat covers over them let alone sheep skin. Why would you bother having leather if you are only going to cover it?

Use a decent leather conditioner like Pinnacle or Zanio, not Meguairs, it's rubbish and any sweat won't worry it.
Fully agree with you.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I had leather seats in a BA XR8 and a Territory Ghia, both with tinted windows, and I didn't think they got any hotter than the cloth seats in other cars did. Vinyl seats must be different, I can still remember trying to sit in my Dads Cortina with black vinyl seats when I was a kid after it had been sitting in the sun and nearly ending up with 3rd degree burns.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 07:50 AM   #24
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I swear by the leather in the Probe, it breathes & is easy to clean. Never had a problem with butt scorch, even on the hottest days!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 08:21 AM   #25
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I have leather in the XR8 & i findthat it doesn't get hot. It mitght get warn but not hot. But i do have tinted window on the car so this helps.
Old 16-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i never had leather seats previously, I would be turned off them by reading some of these posts, but I have never found them to be too hot (even in the convertible), cars with tint are obviously better, but I dont think you need to go overboard, mind you, I live in Melbourne, not WA, or NT or far north QLD lol. Leather is much easier to clean too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #27
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

OHHHHHHH , I thought you were asking if "HEATHER" , as in lockear, is hot !

My mistake ! :

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #28
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it depends on if you are talking about old dtyle leather or the newer leather seats, cos although my seats are hlaf suede they dont get hot at all and my sister had a BA with full leather and she now has a Terri with full leather and it doesnt get hot either, not sure about old school leather tho
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #29
Mrs347stroker
Banned

Thanks for all of your advice. I think I will stay clear of the seat covers, I'd rather smell the leather than sheeps wool.

When I come to think of it, I think covering up the leather seats in the FBT would be silly (so does the hubby). The car does have good tinting so I hope I will be right. Nothing worse than getting into your car and you can't sit down.

I am a stay at home mum so I was a bit worried leaving it in the sun at the shops. I will just find car parks with shading.
Mrs347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs347stroker
I am a stay at home mum so I was a bit worried leaving it in the sun at the shops. I will just find car parks with shading.
Take the CORoLLA then

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post