Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default Another speed camera

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before. But watching the news recently I saw a piece on a tunnel being built in sydney. The reporter stated the speed camera for the tunnel has already been ordered. He questioned that since speed cameras are supposed to be for black spots and reducing accidents, how can they know if there is a problem in the tunnel before its open?

This to me says volumes and proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the nations states are interested in revenue and nothing else. Disgusting.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

if they should ban anything its revenue raising speed camera's, it's simply slack.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The people who install the camera need to have data to prove that this is a black spot and therefore that particular area deserves cameras, but when a new tunnel opens they automatically put cameras in "to stop it becoming a drag strip". All tunnels have cameras in NSW except for privately built roads such as the M2.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
nang3

what a load of crap, reminds me of the situation we have in perth in the Graham Farmer Tunnel - there have been no fatalities and almost none if not zero crashes yet the friggen govt wants to install some kodak cops within the tunnel !!! if this isnt purely revenue raising then i dont know what is !!!
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
Aussie Pete

Actually, the blackspot criteria is just one of the possible reasons. The authorities say they have the right to install cameras where other means of enforcement are not workable. hence the cameras in very tunnel, and of course the most offensive ones anywhere - the two situated on general Holmes Drive Mascot.

Criteria number one which is not published is the ability to make money.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

So they are assuming that because it is a tunnel everyone will suddenly develop a lead foot through it, probably not too far from the truth if they know they cant be caught. Especially at night.

But still, its a bit rich. Its funny though, when it comes to policing the collection of tolls on the sydney harbour tunnel they leave the camera non functioning for years. But come a time when a new tunnel is built better get a speed camera in there!

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 25-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
But still, its a bit rich. Its funny though, when it comes to policing the collection of tolls on the sydney harbour tunnel they leave the camera non functioning for years. But come a time when a new tunnel is built better get a speed camera in there!
Cost of the toll $4-5.
Cost of toll evasion fine $125 (guestimating here of what I can remember one of the guys at work got a few years back) - with the new system they'll send out a reminder notice 1st asking you to pay the toll with a small admin charge anyways so only way to get this is through sheer stupidity really.
Cost of speed fine $75-2350 These figures are for NSW.
I'll let the educated masses do the math & work out whether it is revenue based or not. (return from 1 speeding fine(min) = return from 15 full fare paying motorists + they have to pay the toll as well)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Of course the speed cameras pay off the most. But you would think they would be after every dollar they can get their hands on.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 25-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're only making revenue out of you if you speed. I can think of one extremely simple solution....
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The decision to install speed cameras is purely based on the state governments unquenchable thurst for revenue. Nothing more, Nothing Less. We have become a nation that spends more time looking at our speedo's than looking at the road, and consequently more nose to tail accidents occur. (Try the Spit at Mosman where there are 3 speed cameras on the uphill section).
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
(Try the Spit at Mosman where there are 3 speed cameras on the uphill section).
*cough cough*
ummmm nope - one of them has gone on holiday to just north of Jolls Bridge. Notorious blackspot, though most of the accidents in that location(Jolls bridge) are caused by idiot truck drivers who overtake slower trucks pulling out in front of cars. Have been sitting 4 wide in that section after witnessing this happening to another motorist in the middle lane.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
We have become a nation that spends more time looking at our speedo's than looking at the road, and consequently more nose to tail accidents occur. .

Bollocks. If you honestly can't maintain a legal speed while keeping your eyes on the road, you shouldn't be driving.
Old 25-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #13
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I agree mike. A driver needs to be able to easily tell what speed they are going. In fact most competent drivers would have a close idea of how fast they were travelling just by feel. Wether that be by the scenery going by or familiarity with the car or a combination.

But, it isnt as simple as that unfortunately. It has been commented on that there are far to many variations in speed zones. In some stretches of road if I recall correctly the speed limit changed 6 times. Sure, the speed cameras are sign posted and prior to the camera is a sign with the speed the camrea will book you at. But this is only one sign and if you happen to miss it you could easily find yourself in trouble.

School zones are an iffy subject in my opinion and it is becoming popular to stick a speed camera right in the 40 zone. Now I am all for safety especially for children. But some of the zones that have been made school zones are on main roads with plenty of traffic and a set of lights for the children to cross at. I dont believe these areas should be 40km zones. I even heard a story about someone who was booked in a 40km/h zone on a pupil free day or such a day where the school isnt teaching. He was booked anyhow and the reason was because some kids still get looked after at school due to parents having to work.

Sure, its fairly common sense to not speed and thus not get caught. But it just isnt that simple in reality. Atleast not in my opinion

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 25-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Actually, the blackspot criteria is just one of the possible reasons. The authorities say they have the right to install cameras where other means of enforcement are not workable. hence the cameras in very tunnel, and of course the most offensive ones anywhere - the two situated on general Holmes Drive Mascot.

Criteria number one which is not published is the ability to make money.
Two Cameras?

Airport tunnel is a listed blackspot, but the lunatic placement of the camera slows the traffic on the safest portion of that roadway leaving vehicles free to speed back up into the actual black spot itself.
Clever stuff RTA, amost garentee a doubling of the speed difference between.
individual drivers.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #15
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Bollocks. If you honestly can't maintain a legal speed while keeping your eyes on the road, you shouldn't be driving.
I agree, to a point. Can you honestly feel or observe any difference between 70km/h and 72km/h? Its very easy to be cruising along at 70km/h, glance down and notice you're now doing 72km/h, now combine that with the lack of tolerance here in Victoria... Well, I don't need to draw a picture do I?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #16
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Not being a mexican I dont have any idea of the lack of tolerance in vic. If the speed limit is 60km/h what do you guys get done at?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 25-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They get a 3kph tolerance over that your gone...stupid isn't it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 06:11 AM   #18
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then drive at 55. It's not rocket science guys, it's pretty easy to avoid speeding tickets.
Old 26-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #19
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Then drive at 55. It's not rocket science guys, it's pretty easy to avoid speeding tickets.
Honestly, you are a perfect reason we should restrict entry to kiwis to Australia. because our national IQ would drop and we'd have to admit seals in Antarctica are a higher being.

Your simple minded solution is based on ignorance and an inability to take in more than one factor in an argument which makes you a perfect candidate for a 'Road Safety Expert'. Hell, come to think of it you might find your hero over here in Oz - Harold Scruby. You're both as illogical as each other.

No one on here is saying speed because it's okay. We're just saying a 3km/h tolerance on roads where the authorities REDUCE speed limits so they actually make money (i.e. even people with your attitude are getting tickets) and install equipment that is blatantly not capable of accuracy required to enforce the limits, is utterly ridiculous.

Enagage brain before engaging keyboard. The internet has enough scope for exposing morons...
Old 26-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #20
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Red adds a "6" to AP's score !! opposition bowling hit out of the park!

But I will add lets all play nice campers... Nobody needs to lose an eye..

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 26-08-2005 at 01:28 PM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #21
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Your simple minded solution is based on ignorance and an inability to take in more than one factor in an argument which makes you a perfect candidate for a 'Road Safety Expert'.
Mwhaahha I love it!

I hate going past fixed camera's and being forced to soley concentrate on the speedo when I should be scanning the road ahead and behind for hazards.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #22
gozza

i got booked in school zone
it was in the first few weeks of leavin high school ..thought id take a lil drive by the school for memorys sake and bam some coppers on the road flaggin me down....i had no idea wat i did wrong...
i was doin 55 k's in the 40 zone....looked at my watch and i was like 5 mins into the school zone time...so technally speakin he probly took my speed mins before the zone was activated
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wipe off 5 when i know the area where cameras are and after ive passed i just speed up again. Never been busted even though the first few times i went past a camera i was goin enough over the limit to possibly warrant a fine.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #24
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

On another issue this one relating to red light cameras. If the photograph is taken and there are two cars in the photo does a fine still get issued? I heard from an RTA rep that if two cars are in a red light camera picture they can not issue a fine due to them not being sure who ran the red. Any truth to this?

Also, I will add nobody is saying it is ok to blatantly speed. But with all the differing speed zones and school zones plus everything else a driver must concentrate on in normal driving it is very very easy to find yourself over the limit due to a number of factors.

School zones for instance, especially on main roads. One sign and one sign only warns you a school zone is here and the speed limit is 40km/h. If you happen to be looking elsewhere at any number of other normal places to look whilst driving and you could find yourself in some trouble.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 26-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #25
RATT

I think the 2 cars in a picture scenario is for speed cameras not red light. If there's 2 cars in there then they have both run the red.
Old 26-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
On another issue this one relating to red light cameras. If the photograph is taken and there are two cars in the photo does a fine still get issued? I heard from an RTA rep that if two cars are in a red light camera picture they can not issue a fine due to them not being sure who ran the red. Any truth to this?
I don't think so - they take 2 photos so they can see who the offender is:

How a Red Light Camera works
The Red Light Camera is connected to the traffic lights and is activated by any vehicle that enters the intersection once the light has turned red. The camera is designed to take two photographs, one second apart. The benefit of two pictures can show if the vehicle stopped or continued into the intersection. Any vehicles that were already in the intersection when the lights turned red will not activate the camera.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #27
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're only making revenue out of you if you speed. I can think of one extremely simple solution....
Walk?
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #28
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

i don't have a high opinion of the State government and speed cameras.
They are becoming more and more speed camera happy.

most often, they are placed in areas to stop speeding (claimed), but what about bells line of road.......... How is that going to slow down, when right after it, the hill gets steeper...

its simple really, any tunnel use cruise control. Is it worst the 1 min gained? No.
Any fixed camera is required by law to be sign posted.

As soon as someone has passed the speed camera, they speed up (heck i know i do it all the time on the Pacific)...

Fixed speed cameras are doing more harm then good, as people only slow down for them.

I maintain, nothing will slow down more than the visual effect of police in cars, and using cameras randomly....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the Canberra Times last week there was a article on new speed camera's being developed. They sit inside those little ripple thingies on the road. They will be small enough to fit inside one of those. Similar i guess to the ones they have on certain race tracks in the bitumen, except they will be smaller.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 03:42 AM   #30
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the majority of red light cameras in NSW take three photos in an attempt to determine whether you "ran the red" or "crept over the red as your a granny", ie a rough guess of motion.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post