Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #31
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a conversation with a die hard holden supporter at the moment on facebook.

Sarah

what do you think of the new holden cruze?
11:40pm

Steve

i've read rave reviews. which means its meh. Its a daewoo.....do you like daewoos?
11:41pm

Sarah

i don't particularly like daewoos

but it looks like a fairly decent car

Steve

then all holden small cars arent for you lol

Sarah

and has an awesome safety rating

i might take one for a test drive

i've narrowed down my selection to two - either a cruze cdx

or a suzuki swift sport
11:42pm

Steve

yeah, take it for a drive, see what you think. its no where near as good as a mazda 3.
11:42pm

Sarah

i don't like mazda 3's....

i heard some pretty bad stories about them
11:43pm

Steve

well on merit alone and not badge snobbing, VW, then mazda 3, then focus, the all the other re-badged korean stuff
11:43pm

Sarah

well as of 2010 they'll be making the cruze in australia

so it's only temporary

and either way...

doesn't matter what the car is...

most of the parts come from overseas anyway

11:44pm

Steve

yes it does, it matters alot.

would you buy a re-badged holden 3? instead of a mazda 3?

Sarah

they're the same parts

what's the difference?
11:46pm

Sarah

it's the old toyota or lexus argument revisited...

:P:P
11:47pm

Steve

maybe so, but you cant state you dont really like daewoos then pretend the cruze isnt one.
11:48pm

Sarah

i've never owned a daewoo though...

i drove one once...

so i really can't comment on something i've never owned...

any anyway...

doesn't holden own daewoo?
11:49pm

Steve

holden owns nothing at all....infact the US government owns GM who owns Holden/daewoo/opel and many others

Sarah

so what's the difference then?

a toyota camry was a holden apollo

six of one half a dozen of the other..
11:51pm

Steve

and thats what i love about Ford. It doesn't have to rebadge every car to fool the local populations.

Sarah

so what do they call a ford festiva in america then?
11:52pm

Steve

they dont have it.

infact the festiva hasnt existed in years

Sarah

so you're saying that they have no cars that are the same in america and australia with just a different name

Steve

thats correct
11:53pm

Sarah

b**lsh**

Steve

no b**lsh**
Sarah

prove it
11:54pm

Steve

no, you prove it, i already no it. we dont have imports from the states, we get a few mustangs and F series trucks, but thats it. They have the focus and mondeo (both name plates exist everywhere) built in europe. they have the taurus (which came here badged as a taurus) it wasnt successful. The falcon only gets exported to the middle east

GM is doing a good thing, its moving to a global program (so is Ford, ford just did it without begging for billions off the US and canadian governments)
11:56pm

Sarah

so what's wrong with buying a cruze?

any better options for a car that's got a safety rating as good as that, for the same price bracket?

that doesn't look like a bucket?
11:57pm

Steve

nothing at all. I never said there was, i just said it was a daewoo (who pulled out of australia and now has the worst re-sale of any near new vehicles in australia)

My point still remains, I love and support Ford with my hard earned $$$ because they don't re-badge puss to call it icecream

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #32
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
but their made at elizabeth S.A. (the first lot were imports)
and the engine come from the foundry in victoria. (family 4)
There is no GM Foundry in Victoria or anywhere else in Australia for that matter:

http://www.afivic.com.au/e107_plugin...wtopic.php?323

GM Marketing over substance.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The Ford Festiva was a rebadged Kia Avella, and was sold in the US as a Ford Aspire.

I think the $4 billion development quote is Holdens marketing machine trying to instil value in its products.... If the Commodore was $1 Bil, who in their right mind would spend 4x the price on a budget small / meduim car??

I think the cost of development was more like 800 million - 1 bill.

I don't mind the Cruze. Why? Because it puts people is a decent sized car with class leading safety at an affordable price.

And this is why it will be in the running for car of the year.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 06-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #34
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Of the 1 Billion spent on VE Commorore. $500 Mil was in re tooling the plant to build it.
Probably find similar with their plan to build the Cruze here..... Then times it by two and tell the public. OH then to come up with 4 Bil. They have probably added together all what has been spent globally by each country to "localise" it.
THEN, add another million or two Paul Govers way to "Promote" it
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #35
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a Cruz about two weeks ago. The interior is a lot better than I expected. but I guess that sums up the entire car. Not as bad as I expected.

It is surprisingly 'un-bad'

It is hardly a class leader

Certainly not worth any awards I can think of.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No..

By Mark Hinchliffe

September 05, 2009 12:00am
You really should tag all these news items you copy onto the forum. It is common courtesy and failing to do so could possibly be viewed as a copyright breach.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
Homer
Poor IT dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
What does FORD have to do to get FOCUS mainstream attention ??????
Is the Aussie motoring buying public soo stupid ?????
They can stop selling an outdated poorly built Focus for a start.

Besides the driving dynamics, Focus has nothing going for it.
In a market where looks and value for money are what the buying public want, it’s no surprise that the Focus doesn’t sell well.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
LOL, 4 billion for the Cruze, What a joke, Mercedes Benz only spent 2 billion on the last model E class, and that's actually worth it, but 4 billion on Cruze?
Maybe that's the total cost of designing the car and the tooling up of the 4 or 5 plants that will manufacture the car?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Maybe that's the total cost of designing the car and the tooling up of the 4 or 5 plants that will manufacture the car?
Most probably, the same goes for the VE; 1 billion wouldntve just gone (literally) towards the finished product in peoples driveways. Theres tooling up, engineering for LHD etc etc

As for Cruze Im sure its a very competent car. Not just rebadged rubbish thats out of date. Seems like good value for money, though I dont love the styling.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #40
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Surprise, Surprise!!!!! Yet another thread about a holden. It seems as though lately that is all that is on these forums.

It's about time you all got over it and got back to what the forums are about Fords.
Mate, this is the public section on this forum. If you don't like talk about Holden, or any other manufacturer, then I suggest you don't open any threads, unless it has a Ford model in it's title.

The Cruise is a pretty good car for it's class and whilst it may not be a Focus beater, I don't think it would be to far off.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
There is no GM Foundry in Victoria or anywhere else in Australia for that matter:

http://www.afivic.com.au/e107_plugin...wtopic.php?323

GM Marketing over substance.
thats a little misleading, the four cylinder has closed but the 6 cylinder has remained open.(and other components)
with plans to reopen the 4 cylinder plant depending on sales.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #42
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see why people like it - the styling is good, safety rating is good ect.

But if I was buying a car purely as an appliance (i.e. small-medium runabout) then resale and reliability would be high on my list of priorities. Easy to see then why Corolla/Camry lead the market follwed by other Japanese manufacturers like Mazda 3/6 then Golf. For an appliance I just wouldn't trust Holden/Daewoo for their reliability alone. I can put up with the shonkiness of Ford/Holdens performance models because of what they deliver in the fun stakes.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #43
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT69,

Holden do actually own Daewoo, not GM. GM transferred their ownership to Holden to palm off the liabilities...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #44
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Having a conversation with a die hard holden supporter at the moment on facebook.

well on merit alone and not badge snobbing, VW, then mazda 3, then focus, the all the other re-badged korean stuff

Steve

yes it does, it matters alot.

would you buy a re-badged holden 3? instead of a mazda 3?

Steve

holden owns nothing at all....infact the US government owns GM who owns Holden/daewoo/opel and many others

Steve

and thats what i love about Ford. It doesn't have to rebadge every car to fool the local populations.

Sarah

so what do they call a ford festiva in america then?

Steve

they dont have it.

infact the festiva hasnt existed in years

Daewoo motors was originally a GM and Daewoo 50-50 joint venture after buying Saehan Motors in 1978. Daewoo bought out GM's 50% in 1991 and Ssangyong Motor in 1998 all with borrowed monies laundered through affiliate business'.

For a fair while Daewoo still held the record for the biggest fraud = US$15.3b in 1999. Understate assets and liabilities and overstate equity...by a lot.

GM Daewoo rose from the ashes in 2002 when GM Holden Ltd bought some of Suzuki's share holding to tip it from 48.6% to 50.1% and therefore control.

Ford rebadged the Kia Pride as the Festiva, the Telstar was a rebadged Mazda 626, the Corsair was a Nissan Pintara, the Laser a Mazda 323, etc.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #45
terri tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
GT69,

Holden do actually own Daewoo, not GM. GM transferred their ownership to Holden to palm off the liabilities...
you shore about that?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its a Carsguide article, not written by but edited by Paul Gover.

Enough said. Reading the article actually makes it sound like an advertisement for Holden.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I think the Cruze looks like crap...
BUT Holden have made a big deal about their Korean package, and marketed brilliantly.
IN their advertising, they lied, saying, 'we've taken all we've learned from creating Australia's 'favourite' car and created the all new Holden Cruze.' People will swallow it though...

Yep...they stuck a badge on it, and learned that a Holden badge alone will sell.
Kalos for breakfast, anybody?

I am sure it is an okay car though...
Yep i can remember back to the days when i was working for MMAL (mitsubishi) and my uncle was selling new holdens.... He said if the magna/verada (TJ/KJ models) had a holden lion badge on them he'd be able to sell them like crazy.

There just the mind set within many australian people that holden is the only true blue aussie car company....

Remember kangaroos, meat pies and holden cars....
Old 18-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #48
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was talking to my lovely friend Sarah last night, It appears the Cruze is only a 3.5 star safety rating. She openly admits she's getting older and 3.5 stars isn't good enough.

Shes getting a Fiesta instead!

She feel in love with the 'cute' little car, but only in some form of bright purple. I then went on to explain most of the stuff I've read about in this forum (holdens broke, there new engine range isn't theres at all, the so called 'fantastic economy' has been proven wrong in the states.

Then went on to say how well ford is doing, new engines.safety equipment, safe to say, i think she's finally seeing the light.

So its true, people are indeed blinded by the 'positive' spin with holden, and the 'negative' spin against Ford.

Its only when people do get alittle wiser, have it explained to them and really star seeing the BS press stuff for what it is. If she didn't want a 5 star car, she would have bought the cruze, she was dead set on it, until of course, she found out it was only a 3.5 star.

So everyone should adopt a holden fanboy/girl and help them see the light, get their bums in a new Ford, then they'll understand what we already no.

Old 18-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #49
Homer
Poor IT dude

Quote:
Was talking to my lovely friend Sarah last night, It appears the Cruze is only a 3.5 star safety rating. She openly admits she's getting older and 3.5 stars isn't good enough.

Shes getting a Fiesta instead!

She feel in love with the 'cute' little car, but only in some form of bright purple. I then went on to explain most of the stuff I've read about in this forum (holdens broke, there new engine range isn't theres at all, the so called 'fantastic economy' has been proven wrong in the states.

Then went on to say how well ford is doing, new engines.safety equipment, safe to say, i think she's finally seeing the light.

So its true, people are indeed blinded by the 'positive' spin with holden, and the 'negative' spin against Ford.

Its only when people do get alittle wiser, have it explained to them and really star seeing the BS press stuff for what it is. If she didn't want a 5 star car, she would have bought the cruze, she was dead set on it, until of course, she found out it was only a 3.5 star.

So everyone should adopt a holden fanboy/girl and help them see the light, get their bums in a new Ford, then they'll understand what we already no.
Lol, the Cruze DOES have a 5 star rating.
She must have looked up the results of the old Cruze
Old 18-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #50
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Lol, the Cruze DOES have a 5 star rating.
She must have looked up the results of the old Cruze
not according to her test drive/options.

Is that according to the press release or have you optioned one then checked? I believe they need to be optioned up with more airbags to meet 5 star rating

Old 18-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #51
Homer
Poor IT dude

http://www.ancap.com.au/results/317/

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Cruze/CD

The CD has 6 airbags standard which is what ANCAP tested.
Old 18-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #52
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that is interesting. She said something about a knee airbag on the ford? I dunno. I don't look at safety ratings when buying cars. Haha

Either way, she firmly believes the fiesta is a safer vehicle. And is buying one.

Old 18-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #53
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well that is interesting. She said something about a knee airbag on the ford? I dunno. I don't look at safety ratings when buying cars. Haha

Either way, she firmly believes the fiesta is a safer vehicle. And is buying one.
well done on the conversion

it is good to see that someone has told their friend that a car is better than another and actually listened to you

well done again

at least you know she is getting into a better car

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #54
Homer
Poor IT dude

I don't pay much attention to the star ratings myself.
Doesn't matter, the Fiesta is a better car anyway
Old 18-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #55
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh the holden cruze - I worked for a place where it was a company car - granted it wasnt the latest model, but she was a dog of a thing, let me just say these things damn hear disentegrate at 100,000 kms, the work one did and fuel consumption around that time heads skyward faster than a space shuttle, sorry but the one work had was awful, was all wheel drive and had a habit of chirping fronts on take off no matter how you drove it, cargo space in the rear is an absolute joke I have seen hatchbacks with more luggage space than the one work had, and the turning circle for its wheelbase was absolutely pathetic also it is very very cramped even with the seat at full back position at which time your rear seat passengers better not have legs of any kind, all the staff who drove it all made the same statement and that was "why cant we have the AU back?"

the car if you ask me is a hyundai excel pretending to be a 4wd - and failing miserably. sorry but the one work had was a dog.

Maybe they have improved with the newer models, but that one was one crappy car.

OHOH and breakdowns for stupid reasons were commonplace on this thing - RACV roadside assist loved it..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
ahh the holden cruze - I worked for a place where it was a company car - granted it wasnt the latest model, but she was a dog of a thing, let me just say these things damn hear disentegrate at 100,000 kms, the work one did and fuel consumption around that time heads skyward faster than a space shuttle, sorry but the one work had was awful, was all wheel drive and had a habit of chirping fronts on take off no matter how you drove it, cargo space in the rear is an absolute joke I have seen hatchbacks with more luggage space than the one work had, and the turning circle for its wheelbase was absolutely pathetic also it is very very cramped even with the seat at full back position at which time your rear seat passengers better not have legs of any kind, all the staff who drove it all made the same statement and that was "why cant we have the AU back?"

the car if you ask me is a hyundai excel pretending to be a 4wd - and failing miserably. sorry but the one work had was a dog.

Maybe they have improved with the newer models, but that one was one crappy car.

OHOH and breakdowns for stupid reasons were commonplace on this thing - RACV roadside assist loved it..
I believe you are mistaken...

Is this the car you are talking about??

This thread is about this car:

They are chalk and cheese, they have NOTHING to do with each other.

The old Cruze was based on the Suzuki Ignis (or visa versa)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #57
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes I am referring to this one - why would holden change a car so completely yet retain the same model name : - I can see alot of used car buyers tripping over the same block I just did

and for the record that is a damn awful car (the one pictured)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post