Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ever regret buying a car?

Was speaking to a nephew of mine, late last year he traded in a 1996 Toyota Camry on a brand new Lancer VRX.

He thinks the Lancer is a great car, but every time he walks out to it he sees $25,000 of debt sitting in his driveway, he regrets not just keeping his Camry and running it into the ground.

I told him that as its his first big purchase he will get used to it after a while.. But got me thinking have you ever regretted buying a car??

Luckily I havent every regretted buying one, but back in the 90s I got a job with a company car as part of my package, I had in my head a nice new Falcon GL for my long country trips, great! But a senior person in the company had left and they had a top of the range Maxima in surplus which I could have instead of a base model Falcon, they said it was my choice. I was unsure but I wanted to do the right thing for my employer so enthusiastically accepted the surplus car. Big mistake, I hated that front wheel drive POS, It was uncomfortable and slow, it had shockingly dull high-beam lights and simply couldnt handle Australian dirt roads - something needed fixing or replacing constantly, it ate engine mounts and it squeaked and rattled like a 30 year old Land Rover. I was in that car for up to 4 hours a day..aarghh. In the end only had it for 12 months so not the end of the world.

Last edited by Brazen; 26-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
metallurg

I got a brand new Mazda6 in 2008 and have pretty much regretted it every day since. The seats are goddam uncomfortable and it has sod all power. Only 6 months to go and I can trade up....
metallurg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have never regretted buying one but have regretted selling some a few times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallurg
I got a brand new Mazda6 in 2008 and have pretty much regretted it every day since. The seats are goddam uncomfortable and it has sod all power. Only 6 months to go and I can trade up....
Perfect reason to sit in a car and take it for a test run before buying it.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
metallurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Perfect reason to sit in a car and take it for a test run before buying it.

I actually did, and at the time I figured it had enough power. Didn't notice the seats though - that was only after the first *long* drive.
metallurg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallurg
I actually did, and at the time I figured it had enough power. Didn't notice the seats though - that was only after the first *long* drive.
I see the old long drive....I find FG seats really uncomfortable in my work car, prefer my BA/BF seats.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

They say that one of the 100 things you should do before you die is buy a new car

I did it once and wont be doing it again me thinks!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
They say that one of the 100 things you should do before you die is buy a new car

I did it once and wont be doing it again me thinks!
as much as i'd like to support ford in this trying time, i think i'll have to do the same. i've bought my one new car, i'll settle for near-new if i ever have to replace it (not likely)
Old 26-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
loosey

I don't really regret it but buying my skyline wasn't really a good decision. At the time I wanted a stagea but my mate had just had a kid and it was too cheap to pass up. Within the first month if owning it i realised how impractical it is, can't go camping because you can't get much more than an esky and a tent in the boot, can't carry the kayaks, always worry about getting defected and the constant fear of it both being there when I return to it.
That said I've owned it for three years now and I wanted a jap car for a long time. I'll get rid of it soon though.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

nope, never have. I have had big problems with some cars I have bought but never regretted them. It made me better myself when purchasing the next one. What to look for and what not to buy again.
Old 26-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Yeahp, the one I have now. If I was to ever see the Car Dealer who sold it to me i'd beat his face in. That's not a joke either, i'd really assault him to cause permanent damage.

Dodgy roadworthy, didn't complete his paperwork with Vicroads which caused me to get stung $600 after the rego was suspended by Vicroads and picked up by the police one day. Luckily for him Civil Compliance or whoever they are had a brain and after lodging a form with them they cancelled the fine.

In order for me to get the car into my name and back on the road I had to go down to Vicroads and explain the situation to them. They put it into my name (which they shouldn't do, but given the circumstances) and chased the Car Yard for the $300 or so odd bucks they owed them. Even called me to confirm the Car Yard had paid them after they were sent a nasty letter from Vicroads.

6 months on, new radiator, new water pump, new starter motor, new battery. Oh and faulty water pump = overheated engine, so new engine also.

Yeahp, i'd ruin his life if we ever crossed paths.

Last edited by chrisfpv; 26-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
If I was to ever see the Car Dealer who sold it to me i'd beat his face in. That's not a joke either, i'd really assault him to cause permanent damage.

Dodgy roadworthy, didn't complete his paperwork with Vicroads which caused me to get stung $600 after the rego was suspended by Vicroads and picked up by the police one day. Luckily for him Civil Compliance or whoever they are had a brain and after lodging a form with them they cancelled the fine.

6 months on, new radiator, new water pump, new starter motor, new battery. Oh and faulty water pump = overheated engine, so new engine also.

same story for me on my last one...BAII XR6T ute. was sold to me with many lies attached about it's service history. i ran my finances into major problems trying to fix things...but finances could stretch no further. i traded it on my currnet BFII XT...and between the loss of value & money spent...i am over 15 grand worse off for 4 months of turbo ownership.
the BFII has been all but perfect for 5 months now.
if only i had aimed for this kind of car before i bought the xr6...could have got a brand new one

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
same story for me on my last one...BAII XR6T ute. was sold to me with many lies attached about it's service history. i ran my finances into major problems trying to fix things...but finances could stretch no further. i traded it on my currnet BFII XT...and between the loss of value & money spent...i am over 15 grand worse off for 4 months of turbo ownership.
the BFII has been all but perfect for 5 months now.
if only i had aimed for this kind of car before i bought the xr6...could have got a brand new one
Didn't the car have the stat 3 month / 5000km warranty? Or that only a NSW thing?

As for dealership lies. You should have followed that up and pushed hard. I started a thread a while back about the same thing and a letter and a few phone calls the the right people got it all sorted out to my satisfaction.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Didn't the car have the stat 3 month / 5000km warranty? Or that only a NSW thing?

As for dealership lies. You should have followed that up and pushed hard. I started a thread a while back about the same thing and a letter and a few phone calls the the right people got it all sorted out to my satisfaction.
it did, i am in NSW...but it was right after the 3 months ended everything went bad. i'd already had 5 visits back for warranty in the first 3 months anyway. after all the drama...i just wanted it over with.
in hindsight, i should have got my back up over it...but i'm a shy kinda guy, tough stuff for me to do that.
basically it was a lemon, they shouldnt have sold it as it was...and i should have looked at things more carefully & not been so eager to get the sweet car.

i learned my lesson. look much harder in the future at the finest of details, and buy from ford yards...not random "every car" yards

sinclair ford gave me a good one, and i'm happy in my povo-pack BFII...despite losing the turbo, the 6speed manual & all the xr goodies

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Yeahp, the one I have now. If I was to ever see the Car Dealer who sold it to me i'd beat his face in. That's not a joke either, i'd really assault him to cause permanent damage.

In order for me to get the car into my name and back on the road I had to go down to Vicroads and explain the situation to them. They put it into my name (which they shouldn't do, but given the circumstances) and chased the Car Yard for the $300 or so odd bucks they owed them. Even called me to confirm the Car Yard had paid them after they were sent a nasty letter from Vicroads.

That sounds familiar except mine was a private sale wound back 100000km
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Quick, get your mum to drive you over there and whack him with your keyboard........
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
chrisfpv

Quote:
Quick, get your mum to drive you over there and whack him with your keyboard........
How about you start another thread with a poll to see if I should?

Or how about you contribute something to the thread instead being your usual self? Maybe you should start another thread with a poll to see if you should do that too?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 26-02-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: no need for personal insults
Old 26-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
How about you start another thread with a poll to see if I should?

Or how about you contribute something to the thread instead being your usual self? Maybe you should start another thread with a poll to see if you should do that too?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 26-02-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: edit quote
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
chrisfpv

Quote:
Where's the poll?
Old 26-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I regret getting an Egas RTV. Not because it is a terrible car but because of the terrible consumption (18-20L/100km). Not to mention the lower power. I doubt it is saving anything over a petrol one. We should have just got a petrol one and converted it.

Having said that though it has actually been the most reliable car I have ever had. We have had it since Aug 08 and have done near on 60,000km and it has never had a warranty claim (one recall though). Unlike every other car I have owned - 2 Falcons, 2 Mazdas and 2 Hyundais - all new.

It did however wear out the front pads and rotors after 45,000km. I didn't touch the brakes on my BA in 150,000km other than a front pad change at 90,000km.

Last edited by naddis01; 26-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I regret getting an Egas RTV. Not because it is a terrible car but because of the terrible consumption (18-20L/100km). Not to mention the lower power. I doubt it is saving anything over a petrol one. We should have just got a petrol one and converted it.

Having said that though it has actually been the most reliable car I have ever had. We have had it since Aug 08 and have done near on 60,000km and it has never had a warranty claim (one recall though). Unlike every other car I have owned - 2 Falcons, 2 Mazdas and 2 Hyundais - all new.

It did however wear out the front pads and rotors after 45,000km. I didn't touch the brakes on my BA in 150,000km other than a front pad change at 90,000km.
Unless LPG is kept down to about a third or less the price of petrol, LPG conversions don't actually save you any money. When LPG first became popular (in anything other than taxis), petrol was about 60 cents a liter, and LPD was only about 12 cents a liter. It hovered around 30 cents a liter for quite a while there, but then LPG conversions became more popular and the government got dollar signs in it's eyes so we now see the price at ludicrous levels, seeing as how it is virtually free to produce...it's exported overseas at a price of a couple of cents a liter.

Back on topic: I do regret buying one other car: a 1980 four cylinder VC Commodore auto. Comfortable, fuel efficent...but slooooow. A 2 liter Cortina could walk all over you. But I regret buying it mainly because two weeks after purchase a friend offered me his XY Fairmont 302 auto for $1800, and only days later another friends father told me he was selling his one-owner XB-GS 302 with factory air, power windows and steering, and immaculate red and black paint with black interior, for $5000...I'd paid $6500 for the four cylinder Commodore...you bet I was regretting it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ugh, my "rice" phase and the R32 GTR that i pumped the GDP of a small country into.

I shudder to think how much coin i lost when I sold it much to my better half's satisfaction

And to think I was looking at an XW/XY instead.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Unless LPG is kept down to about a third or less the price of petrol, LPG conversions don't actually save you any money.
I beg to differ and I don't want to go too far off topic. So all I will say is that a good conversion will save me around $1250 in fuel costs per year (petrol here is $1.45 and LPG $0.75). So over a 5 year period it should have saved over $6000 plus I should have better resale (say another maybe $1000) minus the rebate. So it should have saved around $3-4000 over the period I would have had it.

Getting almost back to topic, when an Egas is using almost twice the amount of fuel as a petrol, it is not saving anything, hence why I regret getting it. The only saving grace is we got it for the same price as a petrol one and should be worth more when we sell it.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I beg to differ and I don't want to go too far off topic. So all I will say is that a good conversion will save me around $1250 in fuel costs per year (petrol here is $1.45 and LPG $0.75). So over a 5 year period it should have saved over $6000 plus I should have better resale (say another maybe $1000) minus the rebate. So it should have saved around $3-4000 over the period I would have had it.

Getting almost back to topic, when an Egas is using almost twice the amount of fuel as a petrol, it is not saving anything, hence why I regret getting it. The only saving grace is we got it for the same price as a petrol one and should be worth more when we sell it.
It always amuses me that people who mod their car to save a tiny amount of money at the expense of performance and storage space assume that anyone interested in buying their car will NOT also be a tight **** and want to pay as little as possible for it........

But as far as regretting buying a car, yes I have bought some that were far bigger problems than they should have been but IT WAS ALWAYS MY FAULT.

I chose them. I bought them. I drove them. I sold them.

I do not blame others for what I do......

(and the worst ones I have owned are not ones I would detail here as it would draw the crabs in a HUGE way)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regreted buying

XD Fairmont Ghia
DA LTD

Not bad from 40+ cars
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
It always amuses me that people who mod their car to save a tiny amount of money at the expense of performance and storage space assume that anyone interested in buying their car will NOT also be a tight **** and want to pay as little as possible for it........
Yes the Egas is a POS but please enlighten me on the drawbacks of a liquid injection converted ute or the upcoming Ford system (assumming it is as expected)?

Forgive me for trying to reduce fuel costs by one third. Atleast you get some amusement out of it.

Last edited by naddis01; 27-02-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 26-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Citroen C3 Pluriel.

Good design concept ruined by poor ergonomics, astronomical spare parts costs, a plethora of well known quality / durability problems (but no factory recalls), the worst auto box on the market and bugger all back seat / boot space.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I guess the current Falcon I have...but its more I regret getting rid of the BA XR. It was a stocker but it was manual (I hate auto's so much more having to go back to one) and it was such a strong reliable car. I have little mechanical sympathy in vehicles and that thing took it constantly without skipping a beat.
Old 26-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #28
RAPID_BA
Banned

I regret buying a near new VS V8 many years back when i could and should have bought the old vl walkinshaw for same money.

At the time i thought, who wants an old vl when i
Can get a near new vs.

Looked at and drove both, insurance price and newness made me get the vs
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #29
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I regret buying a near new VS V8 many years back when i could and should have bought the old vl walkinshaw for same money.

At the time i thought, who wants an old vl when i
Can get a near new vs.

Looked at and drove both, insurance price and newness made me get the vs
I still prefer driving a VL over a VS even today.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I regretted buying the turbo... for about an hour
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post