View Poll Results: do we need a gt coupe
yes please 92 78.63%
no way hozay 25 21.37%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Dodge
i like to be stroked

Default ford coupe in the future

just wondering when ford will produce another falcon coupe? come on boys ford usually follows holden by a few years, we need a coupe version of the GT
can we see a vote of hands for it

Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The only possible way it could happen is if the Falcon and Mustang share a platform so it could be shared around somehow. If Holden couldnt make it work what are our chances?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The only possible way it could happen is if the Falcon and Mustang share a platform so it could be shared around somehow?
i don't see why that couldn't happen. if car manufacturers are all wanting Global platforms, why cant there be a mustang fastback styled RHD coupe for Aust.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

holden's wasn't a coupe. it was a commode dore with the rear doors welded up. much the same as their other monaro's and early torana's
there is no way i would want a 2 door from ford if that is all they will do

besides, to do it cheap like holden did is not feasible - to do it properly is never going to get close to feasible
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why on earth for?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I think its all about the market, and feasibility. People buy the Falcon these days as they're after a family sized car.

Apart from exotics like Ferrari etc, I can't really think of any large 2 door cars off the top of my head.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I think its all about the market, and feasibility. People buy the Falcon these days as they're after a family sized car.
Agree.. it makes no sense.. in an Australian market climate where people demand more and more versatility from their cars reducing the versitility of the Falcon by removing 2 doors and cramping the rear seating area, while giving no net "advantage" would be a total waste of R+D $$...
Those funds would be better spent improving features and appointments to the 4 door sedan...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

As much as we would love a gt coupe, it wont happen for reasons already stated....

Hopefully it wont stop a few backyard jobs being made...like that au coupe.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Hopefully it wont stop a few backyard jobs being made...like that au coupe.
I still love that thing to this day!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I still love that thing to this day!

Does anyone know what happened to this??
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank god they never put that thing into product!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
thank god they never put that thing into product!!
Gotta love 'intelligent' comments like these...

As everyone has said a Falcon Coupe will never happen. Have a look at Holden/HSV, they have a far larger loyal and dedicated customer base as we are all well aware and look how the W427 turned out. It was a car all the fans had been asking and speculating about for years and then it was released; it delivered what it had promised and produced some seriously impressive numbers (both in power and in engine capacity).

The media loved it and everybody in the Aussie motoring world knew all about it, reports were in that pre-orders were ridiculous and HSV were 'only' going to produce 427 units even if it didn't fill the demand. Then what happens after the buzz wears off? Barely 200 people had put their money where their mouth was and HSV were stopping production at 200 like they had 'planned'.

Now I admit the pricetag would've been a huge factor in the lacking sales of the W427, but what people are speculating and dreaming up here could and would never be under 100k. The W427 failed to meet sales expectations because of the time it was released, release it the same time the rebirth of the Monaro came out and it would've sold in spades. But everything is changing in the car industry and it looks to be permanent, fuel economy is going up and engine sizes are going down. This coupe would be completely counterintuitive and with Ford/FPV not at all in a prime position financially to even consider doing so it's a dream that will remain in the pipes.

And lets face it, it'd never be a real 2 door Falcon unless it was a built from the ground up coupe with 500hp through capacity or through a blower. Luckily there are some dedicated and talented fans out there and maybe somebody out there will eventually realise our dream (like the AU coupe), even if it is a one off 'backyard' job.

To be honest i'd be amazed enough if FPV do end up producing the 4 door GTHO that has been talked about so much and actually have it live up to (realistic) expectations. Hopefully they'll sell a few too!

Last edited by ST; 04-05-2010 at 05:58 AM.
ST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, that Falcon coupe looks like it was converted to a coupe. Not like Ford would do if it was to factory produce it. The roofline is too high, the front door is too short, the boot should appear to be longer, and the rear side window should not be flat at the bottom, it should curve up. The whole bottom window line on the front door needs to be higher up to line up with the side/lower of the windscreen. The rear window needs to be smaller in height, and the boot lid needs to sit higher to match that. The hipline needs to be pushed out a little to make it more masculine too. Then the whole face is just ugly. Sorry, but it looks cheap and nasty IMHO. I will vote YES for a GT coupe, but go more along the styling of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger for inspiration.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

It's Highly unlikely to happen. But, if the falcon and mustang share a platform in the future it would be fabtastic if there was a retro styled XA-XC coupe.

It will never happen but, its just a dream, a wonderful dream...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its in WA somewhere in the hands of a private owner.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Trek
Blue blooded

I have to admit, that AU looks awesome!

For all those that may have a problem: Yes, there, I said it

A GT coupe however would NOT be on the cards, for the reasons stated above.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

That's right it will never happen and if they did it would only end up being a monaro rip off. But if they did it like the old coupes and redesign the whole back end, and not just be a two door falcon. Then it would be interesting but as stated there wouldn't be a big enough market. Only die hard Ford nuts that couldn't afford it anyway, but would love it never the less. So I'll keep dreaming anyway and thank god that the XA,B,C coupes are the last of there kind.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

It seems the only people who really, truly want a ford coupe in today's style are current or former coupe owners, who don't want to say goodbye to that car...I don't blame them at all, who could, but it just won't happen, the r n d costs would not make it feasable.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #19
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FACT: The XC Cobra existed because they could not clear the XC Coupe shells fast enough with the XD coming up.

What does that tell us? There is simply no market for family-sized coupes. It was falling away then, and it's GONE now. Monaro made that clear enough.
If you want a Coupe, Nissan and the like have many great choices.

Like the GT-HO, XR Wagons and everything else, the only reason you want it is because you don't have one, and it doesn't exist. The second it comes, few will actually shut their mouths and buy one, making it another failed product and everybody complaining when the media lambastes Ford for a poor decision.

Seriously, I'd love to see a Falcon in a V12 with the best quality interior, best sound and all that lovely erection-inducing crap, but fact is that Ford is still working hard to recover from the GFC. Ford Australia is only a small part of that business and if you want to enjoy the Falcon in any form, it means missing out on a few unnecessary things.

Does anybody else want to plan another non-viable post about a product they 'want' but will NEVER buy?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Like the GT-HO, XR Wagons and everything else, the only reason you want it is because you don't have one, and it doesn't exist. The second it comes, few will actually shut their mouths and buy one, making it another failed product and everybody complaining when the media lambastes Ford for a poor decision.

Does anybody else want to plan another non-viable post about a product they 'want' but will NEVER buy?
Exactly right. Anyone remember all the enthusiasm behind FPV making the F6X? For years the fanboys were whining about FPV not doing a super-Territory. So FPV ends up making one... and nobody buys it. They were being discounted up to $15k just to get rid of them!

Same deal with a Falcon coupe. Only the die hard fans will buy them, everyone else will spend their $65k on a 370Z or similar.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #21
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Bring it on. Limited production 200 or less.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #22
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

IIRC Holden spend $80 million developing the reborn Monaro. Sell 200 cars and you need to sell them for $400K each just to cover developement. Sell them for around $60K like what Holden were doing with the V8's and you then need to clear over 1300 units.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #23
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
IIRC Holden spend $80 million developing the reborn Monaro. Sell 200 cars and you need to sell them for $400K each just to cover developement. Sell them for around $60K like what Holden were doing with the V8's and you then need to clear over 1300 units.
And they sold a helluva lot more than that, so if ford can successfully make why won't theirs sell?

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Yes please!! It's nice to dream.

Reality check, it'll never happen. Besides, what would it look like? Would it be a retro XA-XC coupe or just merely a 2 door version of the FG? Will it attract new buyers to Ford or just preach to the converted?

IMO, if Ford want to put a coupe onto the market the way to go would be to do the Mustang in much the same way Tickford did in 2002. The current Mustang is a dead sexy retro styled coupe and quite frankly, I doubt whether a re-done Falcon coupe would do it justice.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'm not sure we "need" one, but yes I certainly want one.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

I am a massive fan of the XA - XC Coupes. Apparenty Ford build these to be Bathurst winners. Subject to racing ruling, this would have to be the case again.

A study into market will have to be reviewed also, Holden have their coupe in the US and UK. Ford AU would have to be in this market also (compete against Mustang in US).

Also they have already ruined (IMHO) the tags of 'GT' and 'Cobra' so it wouldn't surprise me if other names were also raped for the coupe series.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #28
dave289
Banned

stranger things have happened but I very much doubt a falcon coupe will ever see production again. at least holden had a go, ford are very slack when it comes to experimenting.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Falcon Coupe is a bit like the XR series Wagon..

Its one of those topics where "everyone" wants one but when it comes to the hard cold crunch virtually nobody would actually buy one...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The Falcon Coupe is a bit like the XR series Wagon..

Its one of those topics where "everyone" wants one but when it comes to the hard cold crunch virtually nobody would actually buy one...
I WOULD!

ahhaha
But thats only one person!!!