Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation CRUZE Shortlist Car of The Year !!!!!!!

I'VE come over all poetic about a test car. No, it's not a $500,000 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder from Bologna nor a Maserati Gran Turismo, with its Ferrari-built 302kW V8 engine.

Strangely enough, it's the $20,000-odd Holden Cruze sourced from GM Daewoo in Korea.

Here I am packing a tonne of groceries from the Rocklea markets into the huge flat-floored boot thinking how cavernous and welcoming the space is.

And there I am tootling around the back streets of my suburb pondering how the essence of good motoring is about how the vehicle makes you feel connected to its mechanical being.

"For god's sake, it's just a shopping trolley car. Wake up to yourself!" I cry.

But somehow this little car with the unfortunate name and its confusing heritage as a small crossover vehicle is starting to get me thinking about Carsguide Car of the Year shortlists.

I recently drove both petrol and diesel models with five-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions.

It wasn't the engines nor the transmissions that made me come over all poetic, though.

This is one of those cars where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I actually wasn't all that fussed with the engines and transmissions.

The 1.8-litre petrol engine feels anaemic, the diesel is asthmatic at first then gasps huge gulps of air, while the five-speed transmission is a little clunky with badly matched ratios in the diesel and the six-speed auto is too slow and ponderous.

Yet, with some encouragement, these engines and transmissions can propel the small car quite capably.

In fact, the car is so nicely set up I'm sure it could take a lot more engine.

And here is where the essence of good motoring comes in. The whole time you feel connected to the road with all the inertia and physical feedback sitting just right in your inner ear.

It does just what you want and expect it to do, encouraging rather than discouraging positive driving.

All the while it behaves itself with quiet and refined manners.

Outside, this Korean-made car doesn't look remarkable.

But then it's not as boring as some of the German sedans on the market, either.

The stylists have restrained themselves, adding minimal touches of chrome here and there.

Inside, there is an unexpected amount of quality soft-touch plastics and cloth in the trim and upholstery.

The cockpit is a pleasant place to be with full seat and steering adjustability to get the right fit for any size driver.

All controls and instruments fall neatly to hand and are so easy to operate you won't need to consult the owner's manual.

The dashboard and console surfaces also look neat and easy to keep clean.

But the interior isn't boring, either. The steering wheel is small and sport, the instruments have a beautiful blue illumination you would expect in a luxury European car and the three-pod instrument binnacle is reminiscent of a superbike.

My only complaint was that my elbow kept hitting the high and non-adjustable centre console armrest when operating the manual gearshift.

While the driver and front passenger get themselves positioned, the rear passengers don't take a back seat in the accommodation stakes.

There is plenty of room for three adults back there with good room all round.

This car ticks a lot of boxes when you add such practicalilties as a maximum five-star crash rating, standard electronic stability control and six airbags, a full-size spare wheel in the petrol model and sockets for your iPod.

Cruze is the sort of car that reminds us what a good car can do for you; it can put a smile on your face without putting a hole in your wallet.

No wonder it has shot to the eight best-selling car in Australia in its first full month of sales in July.

What does FORD have to do to get FOCUS mainstream attention ??????
Is the Aussie motoring buying public soo stupid ?????

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

nice writeup!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The automotive world has truly changed and enthusiasts might as well pack their bags

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Rob
Living the dream

Wait..I smell........

Paul Gover?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No..

By Mark Hinchliffe

September 05, 2009 12:00am
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No..

By Mark Hinchliffe

September 05, 2009 12:00am
You really should tag all these news items you copy onto the forum. It is common courtesy and failing to do so could possibly be viewed as a copyright breach.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Holden Cruze: review

Close. It's like Mabo, it's the 'vibe' of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsGuide
Mark Hinchliffe road tests and reviews the Holden Cruze, and finds it ticks a lot of boxes.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new..._cruze_review/
Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Ive been meaning to go out and take one of these little rockets for a test drive, I dont beleve many cars deserve the tag of 'cute' but the little Cruze sure is one, it doesnt appear to suffer from any form of down syndrome like many of the other small cars on the market, doesnt look as cheap as a corolla or (dare i say it) focus. My full opinion will be reserved till such time as a drive one, but from the outside, i must put my hands together for GM/Daewoo/Chevrolet/Holden.

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Cruze looks like crap...
BUT Holden have made a big deal about their Korean package, and marketed brilliantly.
IN their advertising, they lied, saying, 'we've taken all we've learned from creating Australia's 'favourite' car and created the all new Holden Cruze.' People will swallow it though...

Yep...they stuck a badge on it, and learned that a Holden badge alone will sell.
Kalos for breakfast, anybody?

I am sure it is an okay car though...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been in a million cars that makes you feel connected to the road, its called having a chassis, suspension and a steering wheel....
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

There is nothing wrong with the cruze...hell i'm sure it is much better than a corolla sedan/camry anyday. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with a focus either. Whether by accident or deliberate holden requirement the cruze has not gone up against a full range of true competitors in very many reviews. Most reviews have been launch drives. Most reviewers have been suitable impressed by its capabilities given the usual GM korean fair. BUT....this is to be expected. Holden has pointed out for years (and this is the first car that really delivers....perhaps save the Captiva) that the next gen of its korean cars was coming. A car that is truly global in setup...based on GM platforms not old Daewoo stuff.

Given this it is hardly surprising the cruze is much more competitive. But aside from good value (and its not alone there...) its hardly a groundbreaking car. It is not at present, nor will it ever likley be in the class of athe mazda 3 or golf. Or focus. Yes its interior is more modern and its styling (though not my taste) is not bad...its a newer car after all. THe reviewers main point is that a good cars don't have to be expensive (which i agree with) and that often a car can come together and be more than the sum of its parts.

For me, cars like the Focus do just that. I drove a 2.0 petrol base focus a few years back and then a diesel focus when they launched it. What shocked me was that while the diesel had surprising grunt the car still drove and responded beautifully. Ergonomics were more than adequate and yet the car was just as at home on a suburban traffic riddled test drive as it was punting up a windy mountain road. I highly doubt, based on paper spec alone and the few comparison i have seen, that a cruze would do as well as a focus in this application. Also its worth noting that we are within 18 months or so of a the all new focus in europe being launched and i don't doubt it will be a step forward again. Complete with next gen ecoboost engines (1.6 size), DSG more widely available, and ergonomic/style improvements. And it iwll be a ripper to drive like all modern Fords. Afterall, it will be designed from the start to beat the Astra...and that is basically a holden cruze without the torsion beam suspension and other cost cutting.

Recent reviews of the 'facelifted' Territory have all had one theme....damn this car is not only still great...its still very very competitive. The tezza is a car that is truly more than the sum of its (jacked up falcon) parts. And its holding on very well because of it. I think Holden will do well with the cruze, probably increase their sales overall compared to viva/astra combo before it. Would i buy one over a corolla....probably. Would i buy one over a Focus.....ah...NEVER!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
BUT Holden have made a big deal about their Korean package, and marketed brilliantly.
IN their advertising, they lied, saying, 'we've taken all we've learned from creating Australia's 'favourite' car and created the all new Holden Cruze.' People will swallow it though...

Yep...they stuck a badge on it, and learned that a Holden badge alone will sell.

but their made at elizabeth S.A. (the first lot were imports)
and the engine come from the foundry in victoria. (family 4)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not yet they're not...

also, i'll never buy anything that comes from lizbeff

and they'll never be australian

daewoo lacetti
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...a%3DX%26um%3D1

Last edited by prydey; 05-09-2009 at 05:40 PM.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, but they were not designed here.
All they do it put the pieces together.
If I buy a Chinese jigsaw and put it together in Australia, the jigsaw was still designed China, regardless of where I buy it from. That's a crap analogy...but meh...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Yeah, but they were not designed here.
All they do it put the pieces together.
If I buy a Chinese jigsaw and put it together in Australia, the jigsaw was still designed China, regardless of where I buy it from. That's a crap analogy...but meh...
I believe the Cruze was a global effort this time around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading GM's claim that 4 BILLION went into it. That's 30+ years worth of Commodore development budget in a small car.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I believe the Cruze was a global effort this time around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading GM's claim that 4 BILLION went into it. That's 30+ years worth of Commodore development budget in a small car.
it was penned in the usa and the rest was a global effort.
first run was chevrolet cruze.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Not much car for 4 billion!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Not yet, still Daewoo's, but good to see Holden's PR machine does its job.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=holden
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #19
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
There is no GM Foundry in Victoria or anywhere else in Australia for that matter:

http://www.afivic.com.au/e107_plugin...wtopic.php?323

GM Marketing over substance.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
There is no GM Foundry in Victoria or anywhere else in Australia for that matter:

http://www.afivic.com.au/e107_plugin...wtopic.php?323

GM Marketing over substance.
thats a little misleading, the four cylinder has closed but the 6 cylinder has remained open.(and other components)
with plans to reopen the 4 cylinder plant depending on sales.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:

Yep i can remember back to the days when i was working for MMAL (mitsubishi) and my uncle was selling new holdens.... He said if the magna/verada (TJ/KJ models) had a holden lion badge on them he'd be able to sell them like crazy.

There just the mind set within many australian people that holden is the only true blue aussie car company....

Remember kangaroos, meat pies and holden cars....
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
buickman
buickman

[QUOTE=csv8]
QUOTE]

The only thing I can think of why the Focus does not sell as well as others in its market is it's rare end with the lights on the hatch looking unusual in appearance as it ticks all the right boxes in it's class maybe a 5 year warranty offered like Lancer might increase it's sales .

Has the Focus ever got into the top 10 on sales since being introduced after the laser.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is hard for Ford people to accept that a holden or any other brand can win car of the year? To me, a title is only worthy if I was looking to buy that specific car. If the focus had won, would you have actually gone out and bought a focus? Or do you let a magazine dictate to you what you buy and don't. I like to test drive my car, form my own opinion before making a purchase. And should a holden should win an award, then good luck to them.

So apart from bruising your ego, what does car of the year actually mean to you for a car that you would never consider in the first place. Let the Journo's hand out their pointless awards. They arn't worth the paper they are printed on.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Why is hard for Ford people to accept that a holden or any other brand can win car of the year? To me, a title is only worthy if I was looking to buy that specific car. If the focus had won, would you have actually gone out and bought a focus? Or do you let a magazine dictate to you what you buy and don't. I like to test drive my car, form my own opinion before making a purchase. And should a holden should win an award, then good luck to them.

So apart from bruising your ego, what does car of the year actually mean to you for a car that you would never consider in the first place. Let the Journo's hand out their pointless awards. They arn't worth the paper they are printed on.

Focus did win its class when released.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprise, Surprise!!!!! Yet another thread about a holden. It seems as though lately that is all that is on these forums.

It's about time you all got over it and got back to what the forums are about Fords.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Surprise, Surprise!!!!! Yet another thread about a holden. It seems as though lately that is all that is on these forums.

It's about time you all got over it and got back to what the forums are about Fords.
Mate, this is the public section on this forum. If you don't like talk about Holden, or any other manufacturer, then I suggest you don't open any threads, unless it has a Ford model in it's title.

The Cruise is a pretty good car for it's class and whilst it may not be a Focus beater, I don't think it would be to far off.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Is the Aussie motoring buying public soo stupid ?????
YES, THE AUSTRALIAN MOTORING PUBLIC ARE TOO STUPID!! Why else would the Toyota Corolla be the number one selling car in the country? Why else would the Commodore still be outselling Falcon, even though the Falcon has better safety, better economy, better interior? simply put, the Aussie motoring public are largely stupid, and will usually buy what ever has a holden badge on it, why else is the Holden Barina, so much more popular than the Daewoo Kalos?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
YES, THE AUSTRALIAN MOTORING PUBLIC ARE TOO STUPID!! Why else would the Toyota Corolla be the number one selling car in the country? Why else would the Commodore still be outselling Falcon, even though the Falcon has better safety, better economy, better interior?
Fleets would be the answer.

You want Australian public then it would be Mazda that's Australia's favourite car.

You want the Focus to push more units (who cares really when its not going to be built here) then the Ford brand needs to be made more cool and trendy to sell to the main demographic.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
cwhitnal
YXR006

nice initial write up
cwhitnal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Guy at work has a cruze. He got it a month ago.
He's been driving a commodore for the last two weeks.
The heater caught fire.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post